Thursday, January 26, 2012

Safari / End of the week.

I apologize for the delay of this post, we haven't had the best internet connection and I am at a loss for words over this experience to be honest.

Over the weekend, we went on a little road trip to Murchison Falls National Park for a safari at Paraa! It was the time of my life. On the road trip we stopped in Misindi for lunch and at a rhino sanctuary and got to see some White Rhinos, wich are currently on the endangered list because of poaching.  We had AMAZING food, air conditioned rooms (OMG), and a beautiful view of the River Nile. Sunday morning we started with an early morning game drive.  We got up close with Giraffes, LIONS!, and many other deer-like animals.  At the end of the drive we got our first glimpse of the Elephants- they are truly majestic creatures along with the giraffes and lions.  Later that afternoon we rode a boat down the Nile to the Murchison water fall, which is truly an amazing thing to see.  So much water blasting through a tiny space into the water fall.  On the boat ride we saw a lot of hippos, and quite a few elephants up close!! A group of elephants rushed to the edge of the water at us and starting making mad elephant noises (is it snorting/honking? oh well) because they had a baby behind the trees and were being very protective.  It was scary but i felt safe on the boat.  The next morning we got up early again for a game drive, and then left the park for home right after that.  The weekend flew by.

The 2 dentists that did not go on the safari saw a small group of patients on Monday, and then it was back to normal on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Today is nearing the end of Thursday, and it is a national holiday here in Uganda so we had the day off.  It was so nice to get some last-minute shopping done and relax.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about what it is going to be like adjusting to life back at home after living here in Uganda for two weeks.  Pretty much the only word that comes to mind is Bitter.  I am bitter that life is so much more difficult for children here than it is for children back at home.  I am bitter that young girls are raped, and young boys are forced to join boy armys.  I am bitter that most of the children we see do not have both of their parents from a very young age.  I am bitter that people my age back at home can joke about these things and not have compassion for the real-life suffering.  I know i will be bitter the second my feet leave Ugandan soil and only God knows why.  I am bitter that some of these young children have known so much pain in their life that they don't even shed a tear during an extensive/painful procedure.  But I know God has a plan for all of them.  I have the support and patience of my family and good friends and I am extremely grateful for that.  I want all others to know of this because I know so many people are asking me to share all about it when I get home, but I will share when I am ready.

Tomorrow we have a half day, then packing the clinic away, and heading home.













3 comments:

  1. I love elephants! They were my favorite! Oh...did you get to see a giraffe run?! So cool!

    ...I couldn't be more proud and excited that I can relate and share in something of the same experience. It is an amazing, complicated, convoluted world out there. I cried at one point because I was trying to tell my story and no one was getting it and was trying to tell me what I saw and heard was wrong. So don't hesitate to call me, I promise I will understand. :) Cannot wait to hear first hand what you think about Uganda and the content of Africa! You did something amazing and life changing these last weeks for the children of Uganda and will change how others view the world, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah on Monday morning we saw a mom dad and baby giraffe running! along with a bunch of other animals because there were hyenas running around. i probably will be turning to you, Kim so get ready ;) it is really hard to tell people who havent been there because you really don't know until you have lived it. A lot of the things i have seen here are really hard to cope with

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautifully written Beth, I wish Inhad answers. I am glad to see a picture of you and the little girl in the sweatshirt who so touched your heart, I thiught about her all week as I was sick and getting medical care knowing for the most part she suffers and gets very little care. you made a difference to her that day. c

    ReplyDelete